Last year, students from 64 universities and colleges came together to sharpen our organizing skills and build a movement strong enough to fight the attack on students, workers, immigrants, and our democracy. Right now workers across the country are taking back power, from Chicago teachers to California Walmart warehouse workers, and it’s time for students to step up our game. While we face huge tuition hikes and frozen wages, our university administrators enjoy huge raises and corporations make record profits.
This year we’ll host three “Fight Back!” Organizer Boot Camps to share the strategies we need to fight the corporatization of our schools.
Step up your organizing game! Join us at the “Fight Back!” Organizer Boot Camp in your region:
Across the country, MEChA and USAS chapters have teamed up with other youth-led activist organizations to host three Organizer Boot Camps. These student-organized and student-run weekends will focus on training effective student organizers from different communities and of different identities to lead the fight against unaccountable university administrators, politicians, and the corporations and billionaires who fund political attacks on the 99%.
Join us, and together we’ll develop the skills we need to mobilize larger numbers of students, train new young organizers, and win campaigns for immigration justice, labor rights, education affordability and access, international solidarity, and more. Across all three regions of the US, we’ll spend two full days practicing one-on-one conversations to move our peers to action, swapping campaign skills, and learning from the recent student victories over tuition hikes, worker exploitation and corporate greed from New Jersey to Wisconsin to California.
During the two-day Boot Camp we will:
- Practice concrete organizing skills, including one-on-one conversations to move our peers from apathy to action.
- Share ideas on how to build campaigns to win concrete victories and how to escalate with creative, effective actions.
- Build a stronger, broader, more coordinated movement, and build plans that will lead to VICTORY
- Learn how to get your message out loud and clear through mainstream and alternative media.
- Strategize high-intensity direct action tactics with activists who have coordinated major actions on our campuses or in our communities.
- Learn how students mobilized hundreds of their peers to take direct action.
Are YOU ready to FIGHT BACK!?
Julia Wang, University of Southern California, Student Coalition Against Labor Exploitation
Marco Arizpe, University of Southern California, Movimiento Estudiantil Chican@ de Aztlán
Anna Barcy, Rutgers University, United Students Against Sweatshops
Monica Shattuck, University of Michigan, United Students Against Sweatshops